ok my dad wasnt home so i snuck a reeses peanut butter cup, even though i wasnt supposed to have one and i dropped it and my dog ate it...is he going to die? please help me i am so scared right now...hes a wire fox terrior, 1 year old and weighs about 18-20 pounds if that helps...please help me danielle
[ Answer this question ] Want to answer more questions in the Domesticity category? Maybe give some free advice about: Pets? daisygal answered Friday March 14 2008, 5:10 am: We have had dogs for many years. Once in awhile they would get into chocolate. Just last week our dog got very sick. We called the vet, we thought she got into poison. While at the vet's office, she kept questioning us and finally I said "well, she got into a little chocolate..." The look on our vet's face was pure horror!! Turns out that is what made our dog so sick, even though this had happened in the past. She had chocolate toxicity. We nearly lost our dog. After several shots throughout the night to make her more comfortable, and two treatments of charcoal to soak up the damage, we were very lucky. It was scary, spare yourselves and KEEP CHOCOLATE OUT OF THE REACH OF YOUR DOGS, IT IS POISONOUS TO THEIR SYSTEMS. They are not designed to digest it, and it can KILL your dog. We learned our lesson and we were lucky. [ daisygal's advice column | Ask daisygal A Question ]
classiccat answered Saturday April 8 2006, 7:23 pm: hi well i have your answer!! Once my neighbors old dog ate a whole chocolate bunny!!! They were worried about him, took him to the vet, and the vet said he was going to be fine!!! Does that answer your question? [ classiccat's advice column | Ask classiccat A Question ]
selectopaque answered Wednesday April 5 2006, 3:09 pm: Here are some FACTS about chocolate poisoning.
For a 20 pound dog, he would have had to eat about 5-10 ounces of milk chocolate to die. He probably would have started to get serious poisoning signs after eating 3/4 of a pound of milk chocolate.
The darker the chocolate, the more serious the danger. There is a big change between milk chocolate which is mostly sugar and milk, and bakers chocolate, which is 100 % cocao. Bakers chocolate is much more dangerous and should never be given to any dogs even if it's just a tiny bit.
You will start to see clinical signs of chocolate poisoning in about a half hour if your dog has ingested enough chocolate. Signs start with vomiting and diarrhea, increased urination and nausea, and can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, and seizures. If you start to see signs, then get them to the vet immediately because it's much easier to fix within two hours, than it is if it's been longer than two hours.
I'm answering this, even though I didn't see it until now, because I'm sick of people saying "oh, don't worry, he just might get diarrhea" or "my dog ate a whole chocolate cake and didn't even get sick" Because chocolate poisoning CAN KILL your dog. And, just because one dog thankfully isn't allergic to it, doesn't mean that MOST dogs aren't allergic to it.
Also, before asking a question on this website, about animal health topics, I would advise you to at least call your veterinarian, because I guarantee that MOST of these people don't know what they're talking about, and if you listened to all of them, there would be a lot more dead dogs in the world. [ selectopaque's advice column | Ask selectopaque A Question ]
fish34 answered Tuesday April 4 2006, 11:17 pm: He's not going to die!! That's such a minute amount of chocolate that I doubt it will even make him sick. On top of that, milk chocolate isn't even as bad as others, so it would take a fair amount to kill a dog. Nevertheless, never feed your dog any chocolate whatsoever. Don't worry about you're dog though! He'll be perfectly fine! [ fish34's advice column | Ask fish34 A Question ]
Vikki27 answered Saturday April 1 2006, 8:31 pm: No he won't die. Dogs aren't mean to eat chocolate because it is bad for them and a lot of it can kill them but one piece won't result in death. My parents dog once ate my entire chocolate advent calender while I was out and he was fine afterwards!!
Sherry answered Saturday April 1 2006, 2:46 am: No he wont die. Chocolate is bad for dogs, but one little reeses cup won't hurt him =) One time my dog ate, literally two big hershey bars and I was freaking out, but he was fine. Just make sure it doesnt happen alot..but if it does happen again...I'm sure it will be fine.
honu22 answered Saturday April 1 2006, 12:44 am: No he won't die. He probably won't even get sick. But look for signs, just in case-the first signs of poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea, increased urination, lethargy and depression, and muscle tremors.
So just watch him just in case. But after all, a peanut butter cup consists mostly of..peanut butter. [ honu22's advice column | Ask honu22 A Question ]
Alin75 answered Friday March 31 2006, 11:32 pm: The thing is they say that chocolate can be lethal to dogs but the dosage has to be quite substantial. One of my friends has a border collie kennel (well, sort of anyway), and I have seen those dogs eat chunks of chocolate (again dropped by accident of course) without any trouble at all. I havent seen any of them even get indigestion from it. Of course I have to keep in mind that border collies are really pigs in disguise :).
am-bur answered Friday March 31 2006, 11:07 pm: he'll be okay i had the same problem with my doggie! she ran into my brother room and ripped open a box of like chocolate carmel thingys! i cryed caouse i thought she was going to die! but she still here but yeah he'll be okay! [ am-bur's advice column | Ask am-bur A Question ]
DancinCutie08 answered Friday March 31 2006, 9:36 pm: he should be just fine.. it takes alot of chocolate to kill dogs... the only main thing you have to worry about is his teeth because of the large amount of sugar and even that isnt a big deal. if you are truelly scared get him to eat or drink anything (to help delute the candy in his stomach) and brush his teeth!
karenR answered Friday March 31 2006, 8:55 pm: I think your dog will survive eating a peanut butter cup. I wouldn't make a habit of letting him have chocolate because it can truly cause health problems for them, but he'll be alright.
I had a greyhound eat 4 grand kids worth of chocolate Santa's and various other chocolate Christmas candy a few years ago. She came through it fine. The kids learned never to leave their Christmas stockings where the dog could get hold of them.
DeadMemories answered Friday March 31 2006, 8:50 pm: No, your dog won't die. If people can eat it then animals can also. If that was the case then I would have dead dogs all over the place. Your dog will be just fine! =P
K3587 answered Friday March 31 2006, 8:43 pm: No, your dog won't die. There's a good chance he won't even be sick. Yeah, chocolate isn't good for dogs, but a peanut butter cup certainly isn't fatal. [ K3587's advice column | Ask K3587 A Question ]
Attention: NOTHING on this site may be reproduced in any fashion whatsoever without explicit consent (in writing) of the owner of said material, unless otherwise stated on the page where the content originated. Search engines are free to index and cache our content. Users who post their account names or personal information in their questions have no expectation of privacy beyond that point for anything they disclose. Questions are otherwise considered anonymous to the general public.