Free AdviceGet Free Advice
Home | Get advice | Give advice | Topics | Columnists | - !START HERE! -
Make Suggestions | Sitemap

Get Advice

Search Questions

Ask A Question

Browse Advice Columnists

Search Advice Columnists

Chat Room

Give Advice

View Questions
Search Questions
Advice Topics


Remember me
Register for free!
Lost Password?

Want to give Advice?

Sign Up Now
(It's FREE!)


Shirts and Stuff
Page Backgrounds
Make Suggestions
Site News
Link To Us
About Us
Terms of Service
Contact Us


extremely safe sex

Question Posted Sunday January 27 2008, 6:14 pm

hey i am not having sex now but i am in a relationship where i am considering it in the future. i am a female and i get my periods irregularly but when i have sex i dont plan on going on birth control or telling anyone so i was wondering without having to go on the pill or seeing a doctor what are the safest and most effective ways to prevent pregnancy. (obviously condoms but anything else?)

thank you!

[ Answer this question ]
Want to answer more questions in the Sexual Health and Reproduction category?
Maybe give some free advice about: General Sex Questions?

FernGully answered Sunday January 27 2008, 7:47 pm:
Condoms are the best option, but they are not failproof. If you aren't using them properly, they break or if you're one of 3% who just are unlucky, you could have a problem on your hands. You can use spermicide but it isn't always compatible with the condom (as are some types of lube! Some things disintegrate the latex), and it irritates some people.

There is also the option of using condoms and keeping track of your period, but if it's irregular you simply can't do that. Another problem with being irregular is you won't know the most tell-tale sign of pregnancy - missing a period.

I know you said you don't want to go to a doctor, but it would obviously be extremely useful if you did. There are plenty of methods they could help you with (such as a NuvaRing perhaps). As well, no one would ever have to know you went. The important thing about the doctor is that once you start having sex you MUST have pap tests done to prevent cancer and other abnormalities.

I guess getting pregnant is bad, but so is dying. I think you should consider it.

You may also want to consider going to Planned Parenthood, where you can be anonymous, and their reason for existence is preventing unwanted pregnancies, I think they would be a huge help.

[ FernGully's advice column | Ask FernGully A Question

Amarete answered Sunday January 27 2008, 7:21 pm:
Just to add to what the other person said, never use a female condom with a male condom. The two rubbers combined will rub together and tear. And when they tear, you might as well have used no condoms whatsoever. Big nono!

Definitely make sure your boyfriend knows how to use a condom. It doesn't matter if he says he knows, go over it with him just to be sure. You can't be too careful when trying to prevent pregnancy. Here is a website with some do's and don't's for using condoms: [Link](Mouse over link to see full location)

Stores also sell little spermicide films that you can stick in your vagina before sex to kill the sperm that come through, but they might irritate your skin. I'm pretty sure they can be used with condoms, but you should check to be sure.

Besides birth control, I don't know what to tell you. But hopefully that helps you a bit!

[ Amarete's advice column | Ask Amarete A Question

ohitscassidy answered Sunday January 27 2008, 6:59 pm:
if you dont want to use birth control.. and you want something more safe then a condom.. the only thing i could think of is a female condom, there sold at most stores where you would find male condoms.

[ ohitscassidy's advice column | Ask ohitscassidy A Question

More Questions:

<<< Previous Question: sex problems
Next Question >>> control

Recent popular questions:
Want to give advice?

Click here to start your own advice column!

We were on matrimonail site made me see the 7th heaven than ignored without
How to get a tattoo where a parent wont see it?
he confuses me on what to do?
Can this workout?
Don't know how to feel
No friends, social anxiety.
I'm going to be alone forever
Are they my issues or their issues?
how do i tell my friend i like her?(were both girls)
When 2 people have the same dreams
I've had a crush on him since high school.
I'd like to buy some toys for my two little kids
Waiting for my boyfriend who is going to prison part 2
I've had a crush on him since high school.
I have this friend...
he read my messaage but isn't replying, is he interested?
Hmmmm..what to Do what to do
my best friend beat up my little brother
What to do I do of my step dad is a douche?
Pesuading my parents to let me get my ears pierced

All content on this page posted by members of is the responsibility those individual members. Other content © 2003-2014 We do not promise accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any advice and are not responsible for content.

Attention: NOTHING on this site may be reproduced in any fashion whatsoever without explicit consent (in writing) of the owner of said material, unless otherwise stated on the page where the content originated. Search engines are free to index and cache our content.
Users who post their account names or personal information in their questions have no expectation of privacy beyond that point for anything they disclose. Questions are otherwise considered anonymous to the general public.

[Valid RSS] eXTReMe Tracker