Well, I've been pretty obese for a long time, and I'm just sick of it..... I try losing weight, but I always end up gaining it back! I want to lose weight, but how can I gain will power?
[ Answer this question ] Want to answer more questions in the Health & Fitness category? Maybe give some free advice about: Fitness? Ignatz answered Sunday May 6 2012, 1:11 am: I'm dealing with the same thing. It's rough, but not impossible. It helps to know how your brain processes rewards and goals. For example, your brain does not really understand "not". When you say to yourself "I will not eat junk food", your brain hears "I will eat junk food". If you say "I will eat healthy food", then that sticks a lot better. Also, a very effective tool for me has been knowing how long it takes for me to burn a certain number of calories. For example, it takes me 20 minutes on the elliptical to burn 300 calories. That's about 2 or 3 good-sized cookies or 1 large muffin. Is a couple of cookies worth 20 minutes of grinding, soul-crushing torture? (I think not.)
Finally, do not underestimate the value of a cheat day. Take one day per week and eat whatever you like. That way you don't get consumed by cravings and beat yourself up because you ate a cookie.
80% of weight loss is diet. But do not neglect the other 20%: cardio is good, bodyweight exercise and weightlifting is better. Find something you enjoy, and do it. Good luck. [ Ignatz's advice column | Ask Ignatz A Question ]
Amii answered Friday May 4 2012, 3:39 pm: Losing weight is one of the hardest things a person can do.I know how you feel.You get all excited and tell yourslef that you want to start dieting and then the next day you end up eating a lot!The problem is that well,food is just there,all you have to do is pick it up and eat it.And doesn't it feel so good on the way in?But looking at all of those gorgeous skinny celebrities and that popular skinny girl in school or maybe your perfect cousin with that perfect curvy body makes you feel bad,depressed,and makes you want to quit those bad habits of eating.These perfect skinny people remind us of our goal and remind is to put that doghnut down because its ganna be worth it when we get on that scale and see the numbers we have always dreamed of seeing turn into reality.That's the moment where you're ganna say I made it.Perserverence my friend is ganna get you through it all.I know its hard,but you can make it easy.
Here are some tips:
1.Eat a big healthy breakfast,eat less amount during lunch,eat a very small quantity for dinner
2.Quit the junk food.
3.Eat small meals more frequently.about 5 small healthy meals
4.Drink water water water water! And stay away from coke!
6.Carry a food journal so you can count and manage your calorie intake
7.Be confident and believe in yourself
8.Put a picture of the person you want your body to look like so you can be constantly reminded of how much you want to lose wieght
9.occupy yourself so you don't think of food
10.Reward yourslef once a week with any treat you like
A- [ Amii's advice column | Ask Amii A Question ]
LiSaxOBaBii answered Thursday May 3 2012, 10:55 pm: Coming from someone who has struggled day in and day out with disordered eating habits for the past 3 years, something I'm practicing now is "intuitive eating" which is also referred to as "mindful eating". Eating healthy foods does not work for me. It makes me binge knowing that certain foods are off-limits. Allow yourself to eat ANYTHING you want, just work on portion-control. I know that it's a hard thing to do, but if you focus and let yourself be fully present while you are indulging in a delicious, but normal-sized portion of a food that you absolutely love, it will prevent you from binging/overeating later on in the day. I just got reading a book about this on Amazon and it only cost $2 to download.
Attention: NOTHING on this site may be reproduced in any fashion whatsoever without explicit consent (in writing) of the owner of said material, unless otherwise stated on the page where the content originated. Search engines are free to index and cache our content. Users who post their account names or personal information in their questions have no expectation of privacy beyond that point for anything they disclose. Questions are otherwise considered anonymous to the general public.