Free AdviceGet Free Advice
Home | Get advice | Give advice | Topics | Columnists | - !START HERE! -
Make Suggestions | Sitemap

Get Advice

Search Questions

Ask A Question

Browse Advice Columnists

Search Advice Columnists

Chat Room

Give Advice

View Questions
Search Questions
Advice Topics


Remember me
Register for free!
Lost Password?

Want to give Advice?

Sign Up Now
(It's FREE!)


Shirts and Stuff
Page Backgrounds
Make Suggestions
Site News
Link To Us
About Us
Terms of Service
Contact Us

Stuck abroad with no way to get home

Question Posted Saturday April 2 2011, 9:46 am

I have recently came to Australia on a 3 month visa with my friend who is an Australian citizen and payed for my ticket here and with the understanding of her getting me a ticket back home and now the situation has changed with no means whatsoever of getting back to the Uk :-(

[ Answer this question ]
Want to answer more questions in the Work & School category?
Maybe give some free advice about: Personal Finance?

adviceman49 answered Sunday April 3 2011, 12:37 pm:
Hi, I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I hope the wisdom that comes with age will be helpful to you.

Your question is a first for this site, but one I have seen before in other forums or news articles. In almost every instance the advice given by others was to visit the embassy of your home country.

While the primary mission of an Embassy is Diplomatic Relations with the host Country, the next most important mission is to protect and serve the citizens of their country who may be having problems while visiting the host country.

Frankly I'm not sure which is the more important job. Yes, diplomatic relations are important, helping their own citizens at times is even more important. I don't believe if you were to go to your embassy and tell them what has happened to you; that they won't find away of fronting you a ticket home. After all once you are home they have many ways of reclaiming the funds loaned to you, if you do not pay them back voluntarily. Starting with garnishment of wages to withholding of any taxes that may be do you until your debt is settled.

I believe it is just a mater of finding the right person or department within the embassy to get the help you need to get home. If at all possible try to visit the main embassy rather than one of the outlying consulates. I believe you will find it easier to get help at the main embassy.

[ adviceman49's advice column | Ask adviceman49 A Question

Matt answered Saturday April 2 2011, 7:37 pm:
If rainbowcherrie's advice only warranted a three, the only advice I have is to start changing your accent because you're never leaving that continent. <3


I'm so glad you've reconsidered that rating. You're not going to get much better; no one is going to say 'oh hey, I actually have a private jet that just perpetually flies people back and forth between the UK and Australia for free! Hop on!'

[ Matt's advice column | Ask Matt A Question

rainbowcherrie answered Saturday April 2 2011, 12:30 pm:
If there is no way anyone (friend, relative?) back in the UK can loan you the money then your only real option is to go to the UK embassy. Some consulates will offer emergency loans to stranded travellers or they will offer you advice. This website lists the locations and numbers of regional Consular offices for Australia: [Link](Mouse over link to see full location). You will need to contact the office which covers the area you are staying in.

If you are staying in Melbourne then this organisation may also be of some assistance:
[Link](Mouse over link to see full location)

Whatever you do, don't just leave it and let your visa run out. If you are deported, you will probably not be allowed back into the country ever again and may be denied visas from other countries in future.

[ rainbowcherrie's advice column | Ask rainbowcherrie A Question

More Questions:

<<< Previous Question: Is he using me to make her jealous?
Next Question >>> overworked, torn & unhappy

Recent popular questions:
Want to give advice?

Click here to start your own advice column!

I don't have clothes or supplies for school!
Is it too forward?
I have a shaved side
love of the past
Where is the colonial oppression here?
I dont know how to get this friendship to "grow"
what ages are hot topic for
i want to dye my hair, but I'm not sure it would look nice
Change color of my advice column?
recent problems involving masturbation
Brushing my teeth makes me poop.
my mom is a control freak
Is This Considered Stalking?
Best friend issue
Why is it a bigger deal for Greece to default than certain African countries
How to ask my mom?
help need to know if im producing real cum
why the FUCK are people now accepting pedophilia?
food coming back up!
Do I call this rape

All content on this page posted by members of is the responsibility those individual members. Other content © 2003-2014 We do not promise accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any advice and are not responsible for content.

Attention: NOTHING on this site may be reproduced in any fashion whatsoever without explicit consent (in writing) of the owner of said material, unless otherwise stated on the page where the content originated. Search engines are free to index and cache our content.
Users who post their account names or personal information in their questions have no expectation of privacy beyond that point for anything they disclose. Questions are otherwise considered anonymous to the general public.

[Valid RSS] eXTReMe Tracker